With recent developments, as well as guidance and advice from the Government and relevant authorities coming in daily, riding your bike outside may become tricky very soon. Solo rides are fantastic and the weather has improved significantly in recent weeks, but if you’ve opted to incorporate your training plan to a more indoor approach at the moment, that’s ok too! You're riding your bike and turning the pedals, whilst keeping fit and healthy, and that's all we all want!
Committing to long hours on your turbo trainer with the scenery not changing as it would when you’re on the tarmac, and the constant pedalling without the mirco-rests of sitting on a wheel or down a steady descent after a tough effort, can really take a toll on you and your skin.
Thankfully, as technology has advanced, it has helped in the fight against the mundane turbo. The introduction of smart trainers that are more affordable, as well as platforms such as Zwift, The Sufferefest and TrainerRoad, all help to combat the difficulties and monotony of training inside. Not only that, but you can find you get numb from not moving in and out of the saddle enough.
At VeloSkin, we are firm believers that Chamois Cream still has a place when it comes to indoor training, and here at HQ, we just won’t go without it and following winter, we've had more purchases of it throughout that period than ever before.
When you ride outside, you don’t sweat quite as much as you will inside, especially if you don’t have a fan to cool you.
Sitting in the saddle for an hour or two without moving is always going to be that bit more uncomfortable than hitting the lanes with your friends, but using some of our chamois cream will definitely help you stay comfortable for longer.
Not only can we help the comfort factor, but we can be a major prevention in soreness. Sitting still and sweating into your chamois has the potential to cause other problems, which are negated by the antibacterial elements of our hero product!
Here’s our top tips to battle the turbo for winter:
- Bottles: make sure you hydrate whilst you’re riding indoors. It’s easy to forget, but you will probably sweat more and you need to stay hydrated, it’s also great for your skin!
- Towel: get rid of the sweat from your brow before it gets into your stem and ruins your bearings! Also be careful not to dab too much as you can damage your skin, make sure to moisturise after your session with our premium moisturiser.
- Good shorts: as you won’t get out of the saddle as much as you might during a road ride, make sure your contact points are as comfy as can be!
- Have a plan: there’s nothing better than sticking to a plan and seeing yourself improve. There are loads of plans on Zwift, British Cycling and The Sufferfest to name but a few. Be ready for those miles on the road!
- Chamois Cream: As we’ve mentioned, you need to be as comfortable as ever to ensure you get the most out of your session and prevention is definitely better than cure. So given you’re more likely to be seated a lot, make sure you get hold of our Chamois Cream to mitigate against friction and bacteria!
- Nutrition: Don’t forget to eat if you’re doing a long session! Just because you’re inside doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t eat. Anything above 90 minutes and it’s recommended that you start to replenish those stores! Recovery is super important too, immediately following your session to ensure your body gets what it deserves.
- Fan: Use a fan to keep yourself cool. There’s no breeze inside like there would be typically riding outside, so get yourself a fan that can be sure to help prevent and reduce the inevitable puddle of sweat!
- Showering: Getting out of your sweaty bib shorts as soon as possible is essential and jumping in the shower will keep bacteria at bay, whilst wash off acidic salts from your skin to get you feeling more human again.
- Soothing Gel: As with nutrition afterwards, our VeloSkin Soothing Gel is super important to aid recovery of your skin in the saddle area to help keeping soreness to a minimum and you ready for another session the very next day. Recently described as a product a rider never knew they needed until they tried it, now a total must after every ride.
- Clean your bike: Using an anti bacterial spray on your bar tape and saddle will help fight off nasty bacteria, which will begin to grow in these prefect conditions, so ensure you treat your bike to a good clean down, ready for your next session.
This situation isn't good for anyone, but together, we can help to keep you riding along and enjoying your bike, despite the suffering! Use our tips and tricks to enjoy your indoor training and prevent soreness!
If you’re riding on the turbo more, stick to a regimented plan, because we enjoy suffering, but always #SufferInComfort
Show us your pain cave! We love seeing everyone’s indoor setup #MyVeloSkinPainCave